Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Home is in a foreign land, for me...


Lights stretched out in the horizon, painting the midnight sky.
no pretty stars to adorn the night's carpet,
nor a moon to glow in the darkened globe

But the lights of the city twinkle brightly, smiling at me
voices spoke from near, voices that made me smile
a smile... a sad smile for a heart out of place...

I stand high above everyone, looking down,
Down on soft white snowy ground,
hiding footprints and whispers, hiding...

I remember a night like this once before,
quite, beautiful as this,
with voices far off, in a language I so love

I remember a night like this once before,
quite, beautiful as she is,
in a city of a country with a culture I so love

Back then, I smiled too, but a smile so different,
Back then, I smiled radiant,
I smiled for a city of a country with a culture I so love

I stood high above everyone, back then, looking down
Down on hard, sandy ground, hiding nothing
My heart longed for nothing, then,
for what was there to desire?
in a city of a country with a religion I so love

A salam, shattered the mirage,
it fled and left me standing,
standing high above everyone,
looking into eyes of one lost, saddened;
of a reflection, mirrored in a misty window

A salam, reminded me of where I am,
and of what I left behind, long ago;
standing high above everyone,
feeling out of place, everywhere,

but I remember, once upon a night long ago,
I stood high above everyone,
Smiling so radiant, heart bursting with happiness

Home is in a foreign land, for me
in a city of a country with a culture, grown of my religion...

Home is in a foreign land, for me
in a city of a country with a language, whispered in Jannah...

Home is in a foreign land, for me
in a city of a country I so love and long to be with...

It called me habibti... and I,
I whispered habibi, in return...

No comments:

Post a Comment